The driver is under the legal obligation to remove water and ice from the tarpaulin of the truck before setting out on his next journey. Since this legal obligation is very exhausting and dangerous for the truck driver, it is neglected by many drivers.
In the case of longer truck stopovers rainwater may amass on the roof area and spill over the lane further along the way or damage superstructures e.g. by its weight.
In the cold season this even more dangerous because the water starts to freeze on the roof areas which results in ice plates with a weight of up to 100 kilos that pose a significant threat to road safety while slipping off the truck. This can lead amongst other things to dangerous double-lane change manoeuvres of cars driving behind the truck or in short to serious accidents.
The AIRpipe triple pipe system is an effective device for the prevention of water accumulation and ice formation at commercial vehicles. In this way not only road accidents, but also injuries arising during the manual clearing are avoided. Apart from the time which needs to be invested for these purposes.
The AIRpipe triple pipe system is available in different variations:
Var. 1: For tarpaulin roofs – sliding or fixed cover (Hamburg cover)
Three flat tubes are mounted between the tarpaulin and the transverse roof bows. The tarpaulin is reconnected to the transverse bow using a special connection (spring clamps and elastic cords). When activating the system, the flat tubes are filled with air from the ancillary consumer circuit (circuit 4) of the vehicle. In this way, the tarpaulin is raised by approx. 20 cm in the centre and approx. 8 cm to each side. The accumulation of water is thus prevented and the formation of ice is no longer possible. The construction with 3 tubes also enables to remove already existing ice from the roof.
The supplied air control has solely pneumatic functions. Since no electric connection is required, function failures are principally excluded. A pressure reducer which ensures a proper functioning of the system also during longer dwell times is integrated in the control system. The emptying of the tubes before departure is effected by means of a suction device in the control system.
The function of a sliding cover is not impaired; opening on both sides is possible using the mounted flat tubes.
In case of the fixed cover (Hamburg cover) the AIRpipe pipes are attached on the longitudinal tubes using the straps which have been fixed on the flat tubes.
Var. 2: For reefer and box bodies
AIRpipe for reefer and box bodies principally functions like AIRpipe for truck tarpaulins. A tarpaulin is tightened on top of the fixed roof and fastened using clamping bars. The AIRpipe triple pipe system is positioned between the tarpaulin and the fixed roof.
Var. 3: For open-top trailers
Same functional principle as for var. 1 and 2
A self-supporting and flexible system which is incorporated in the roof tarpaulin assumes the function of the hoops.
For loading and unloading, this system is rolled on the side and consequently does not impair any loading procedures.
- No traffic hazards arising from falling ice plates
- Optimum comfort and safety for the truck driver. The truck tarpaulin is cleared from water and ice within a few minutes, independent of its location and without the driver putting himself at risk or investing much time. Moreover, if the system is properly handled, the driver complies with the highest legal standards
- The construction with 3 tubes enables to remove already existing ice from the tarpaulin roof and to avoid the formation of water bags.
- The AIRpipe® control device includes a suction function which ensures a prompt lowering of the roof for driving.
- Since no power supply is required, AIRpipe can also be employed for trailers without towing vehicle (e.g. during the weekend).
- In this way damages to superstructures and loads which arise from the weight of water and ice or water seepage (electronics, aluminium, paper etc.) may be avoided.
- No contamination of the loading areas caused by water, ice and snow
- AIRpipe can also be used without any problems in the case of swap bodies, where major problems related to icing frequently occur at these superstructures mostly due to longer dwell times.
- Protection of the tarpaulin and superstructures due to fewer impact and a more gentle removal of water and ice from the truck roof.
- The roof tarpaulin is reconnected to the hoop using special holding straps. This prevents the tarpaulin from flapping while driving and thus prevents damages to the support rollers of sliding covers and also increases the fuel consumption while driving. This connection was released for rail transport by German Rail (Deutsche Bahn).
- By means of the hoisting rope which is used for lifting the tubes, the transverse roof brace of load-certified trailers is raised simultaneously. The hoisting ropes are uniquely patented.
- AIRpipe is suited for every type of truck trailer (tarpaulin, open top trailer, reefer and box bodies) and may be retrofitted at any time using the existing tarpaulin.
AIRpipe Schlaeuche werden durch Hebeseile angehoben 20130306_160544.jpg
Open-Top Auflieger mit dem AIRpipe 3-Schlauch System.jpg
AIRpipe Plane zusammengeschoben 1.jpg
AIRpipe montiert auf einem Kofferaufbau.jpg